This course aims to provide students with competence in personal survival techniques so that they will be able to survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment. You will be required to complete this pre-course online programme before attending the practical course at the school. Successful students achieve an STCW Competence in Personal Survival Techniques Certificate, and students will be deemed to be competent in accordance with the amended provisions of Regulation VI/I (Section A-VI/1-1) of the International convention on Standards of Training Certification and Watch-keeping for Seafarers (STCW) 1978.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR ONLINE COURSE
On successful completion, students will be able to
- Understand the types of emergencies and how they are managed
- Identify life saving appliances generally carried on ships and how they operate
- Identify types of personal life-saving devices and their use and location
- Identify the different radio equipment used in emergency’s
- Understand the principles of surviving at sea
There are short quizzes after each section and students will all also need to review online videos and complete the associated assessments
After completing these assessments you will receive a certificate which covers completion of the online Personal Survival Techniques pre-course programme.
On completion you will be able to attend the practical part of this course held at the school. Your tutor will be in touch.
4 – 6 hours